Breakdancing world champions Flying Steps are set to take their hip-hop and classical music mash up, Red Bull Flying Bach, around the world…
Berlin's world-champion dance crew Flying Steps will be busting moves to the rhythm of Bach’s fugues in front of new audiences this year after it was announced that the breakdancing troupe will be touring their Red Bull Flying Bach performance around the world.
Flying Bach pairs Berlin breakdancing kings Flying Steps with opera director Christoph Hagel. Together they set Flying Steps' street moves to the music of German Baroque composer Johann Sebastian Bach – specifically Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier. Over 70 minutes, the dancers throw down spins, power moves and body freezes to piano, harpsichord and electronic beats.
The troupe took Europe by storm in 2011, selling out a never-ending tour. The Red Bull Flying Bach World Tour, which visits 13 different countries, will begin in Pula, Croatia on May 3.
It celebrates a fruitful ten-year relationship between the dance crew and Red Bull. Vartan Bassil, founder of Flying Steps, said:
“In past attempts to join classical music and breakdancing, the b-boys just supported the music. For Red Bull Flying Bach we are not only dancing, we are visualizing and reviving Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier. For us, the Red Bull Flying Bach World Tour is a dream come true. We absolutely want to fascinate each crowd, each country with our art.”
"We absolutely want to fascinate each crowd, each country with our art" – Vartan Bassil, founder of Flying Steps
Opera director Christoph Hagel added: “The moves of a breakdancing crew are as cool as a fugue by Bach. From Croatia to Japan, everyone can relate to it.”
Here's that world tour in full:
- Pula, Istrian National Theatre – May 3
- Zagreb, Vatroslav Lisinski Concert Hall – May 5-6
- Tbilisi, Shota Rustaveli National Theatre – June 13-14
- Oslo, Oslo Concert Hall – September 15-16
- Beirut, Casino Du Liban – September 22-23
- Doha, Drama Theatre at Katara Village – September 25-26
- Dubai, Madinat Jumeira – September 28-29
- Florence, Teatro Della Pergola – October 3
- Turin, Teatro Carignano – October 6-7
- Stockholm, Stockholm Concert Hall – October 12 & 14
- Gothenburg, Gothenburg Concert Hall – October 20-21
- Kiev, Ukrainian National Opera – October 26-27
- Prague, Karlin Theatre – October 30-November 1
- Tokyo, Orchard Hall – November 8-9
- Osaka, Osaka City Central Public Hall – November 15-17
- Lausanne – November
- Lucerne, KKL – December 5-8
- Moscow – December
- St. Petersburg – December
For more information about Red Bull Flying Bach and their world tour, click HERE.